Leverage conversion research when embarking on a redesign project to minimize risk and optimize business results.
Before you throw out the old and bring in the new, read these suggestions and make sure you have solid evidence that doing so is necessary to achieve user-centered goals.
- Never make radical changes when minimal adjustments will suffice.
- Be aware of your own cognitive biases (your users think differently)
- Consider the cost of switching users to a new interface.
- Are the gains from making incremental changes are miniscule or nonexistent?
- Is the technology is severely outdated, making critical changes impossible?
- Consider if architecturally the site is a tangled mess.
- Benchmarking research reveals your site is far inferior to the competition.
- Does your website suffer from very low conversion rates site-wide?